Thursday, October 17, 2013

Works in the Works

As I mentioned in my last blog post, I have been re-editing my vampire slayer series. I'm back to book six. I've written about half of book seven, but unhappy with where it was going, I left it. I imagine something similar will happen once I finish book six and give it another look. I know where I want to the story to go; I just can't seem to get there.

The problem with the series is that the first book isn't the best. There is a lot of world building and character development that had to occur, and that makes the story drag at times. With that out of the way, the other books are action-packed. Fluffy has often said that if the series started with book two, it would be better. Unfortunately, without book one, nothing else makes sense. Other than this year's heavy-handed edit, I don't think there is much else I can do to fix it.

It has been a while since I sent out queries for it. I've heard the advice that often, you just have to shelve a project, maybe forever. It's hard to let go of something that you have worked on so hard and for so long. I could try sending out more queries for it. Maybe 4 years is long enough since the last round.

I think my publisher would publish it, but the problem with that is that they are a mainly ebook company. While that gets the book out there more quickly, it makes it more difficult for people to acquire paper copies of the book. I had dreams that a big-time publisher would go for something of mine. Maybe that dream is too big, or maybe I just haven't written the right book yet. I'd like to find an agent, but to get an agent, you have to have something they want. I think I have a product that readers want; I just can't find the right agent.

I have an epic romantic fantasy I've written. Several people (men) have read it. I think it has potential, but again, maybe it isn't marketable. I'm waiting for a bit more feedback before I send off queries for it.

For now, I'll keep editing and preparing a packet for job performance review. Sometimes, I have to remind myself that I'm not an author by profession but simply by love of doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment