Sunday, February 3, 2013

Pickers

          While watching American Pickers, my mother asked me, "Do you think it's possible to ever really understand someone else's perspective?  If someone grew up being told the sky was brown, do you think you'd ever convince them that the sky is blue?"
          I said, "I think most people accept what they're taught without question.  When they encounter something outside their experience or contrary to what they believe, they either ignore it or violently oppose it."  I watched as teary-eyed old man made a deal to sell one of his many antique bicycles.  "Maybe not.  Maybe people are more willing to explore, but the ones who aren't just yell louder."  I looked back at her and half-grinned.  "Trying to help a lost soul, are you?"
          "Always.  And you?"
          "Always." Even if it's only my own.
(12/25/2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment